The Lifeguard Academy has been developed by SLSWA to provide opportunities and a structured pathway for members interested in moving into paid employment across the various professional services including Lifeguarding; Support Operations; and Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Crew.
Every summer, Surf Life Saving WA (SLSWA) employs over 100 Lifeguards and Support Operations staff with employment opportunities available from September through April.
The services delivered by these Lifeguards and Support Operations staff, which include the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter and SurfCom, are located across more than 20 metropolitan, south-west and great southern locations. Limited opportunities also exist during winter (May to October) in the Metro region.
Through the Academy, SLSWA delivers a Rookie Lifeguard Program which will see Rookies gain exposure and skills directly related to employment as a Lifeguard and other Support Operation functions within SLSWA.
The Rookie Lifeguard Program aims to:
- Provide a transition for members, aged 16-17, from being a volunteer patrol member to a paid Lifeguard
- Commence development of skill sets that are beneficial to employment as a Lifeguard
- Gain an understanding of the daily tasks and responsibilities of a Lifeguard
- Develop working relationships with SLSWA staff and Lifeguards
- Provide opportunities to work with like-minded people who share the same passion for beach safety and aquatic rescue
- Develop skills to respond to critical incidents in a Lifeguard setting; and
- Open doors to employment opportunities with SLSWA
Participation in the Rookie Lifeguard Program:
The Program provides a structured, 5-day program where rookies will have the opportunity to develop and learn skills across key operational areas including;
- Wesfarmers Jet Ski Team
- Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter operations
- First aid and resuscitation
- Advanced rescue skills (e.g. rock rescues)
- Search & Rescue search patterns
- Leadership and teambuilding
An example of Program activities can be seen below. Please note, this is subject to change.
2022 Rookie Lifeguard Program Information
DATE: Monday 10 – Friday 14 January 2022
LOCATION: Participants will start and finish each day at SLSWA Head Office, Balcatta
TIME: 8.00 am – 5.00 pm each day
Participants outside of the Perth metro & peel regions are encouraged to register. Travel and/or accommodation assistance may be available and this will be discussed with registered participants once the registration process is closed.
ENROLMENTS: Open Saturday, 20 November at 9 am (AWST).
The booking link will be available here! Please note: Payment by Credit Card will be required as part of the online enrolment process.
Rookie Lifeguard Program
ENQUIRIES: Please contact Kirsty Hayden at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9207 6666.
WAITLIST: Should you be unsuccessful in securing an available spot, please email email@example.com to be added to a waitlist. Should positions become available, they will be allocated to those on the waitlist in order of receipt of email.
Rookie Lifeguard Program
To be eligible to enrol in the Lifeguard Academy’s Rookie Lifeguard Program, participants must:
- Be a financial member of an SLSWA Surf Life Saving Club (SLSC)
- Hold a current SLS Bronze Medallion
- Must be 16 years of age by 1 October 2021
- Possess a suitable level of fitness
Rookie Immersion Week
Upon successful completion of the Program, Rookies will officially graduate, with the 10 top graduates being invited to participate in a week-long immersion program during the season within SLSWA’s Lifeguard services, which will see Rookies spend a week in on the job mentorship with SLSWA Lifeguards.