The aim of the Youth Program is to engage, enthuse, and educate all graduating ‘Woodside Nippers’, and new youth members, regardless of their ability in any surf sport discipline, and aid the retention and development of members.
Our youth members (aged 13 to 16 years) are the future leaders of the surf life saving movement, thus we want to provide opportunities for them to learn and develop new skills to not only become better surf lifesavers, but also contributors to their local communities.
We aim to achieve this through our Youth Programs, which will:
- Offer a gradual and seamless transition from nippers to youth programs;
- Increase the opportunity for new youth members who did not participate in Nippers, to join and learn the skills required to become lifesavers;
- Offer a broad and balanced curriculum;
- Develop in complexity throughout;
- Develop individuals holistically across the pillars of surf life saving being lifesaving; surf sports; and training
Through our club based Youth Program, we offer clubs and youth managers a structure and framework from which to base their club-based development sessions on Sunday mornings.
The Youth Program Framework encompasses a series of workshops and activities through which youth members will develop their knowledge, understanding and skills in a range of areas around the SLSWA pillars of Nippers & Youth, Training & Education, Surf Sports, and Lifesaving.
The program also supports a modified model of surf sports activities that ensure all members can participate, achieve, and enjoy.