In a first for Western Australia, the Aussies Youth Championships were held at Scarborough Beach and our WA youth athletes made the most of the home advantage, with many walking away medals winners and even more having contested finals.
The competition kicked off on Saturday, 14 April and a big swell made for testing conditions for our U14 and U15 athletes. Day one was primarily comprised of the individual water events, with Trigg Island’s Will Savage having a standout performance, coming from behind in a sprint finish to claim gold in the U15 Ironman race, backing up his win in the U14 ironman at North Kirra last year.
Beach sprints and beach relays were contested at Trigg Beach on Saturday afternoon and Sorrento’s Tyson Cook, Jared Thompson, Toby Waymouth and William Nottingham claimed the gold medal in the U15 Males Beach Relay.
Sunday morning kicked off with the 2km Beach Run, with many of our WA athletes having strong performances including Cottesloe’s Ethan Duffy taking out gold in the U14 male event, while Trigg Island’s U15 Board Relay teams claimed gold in both the female and male races.
Across the board WA was well represented in the finals of the team events, with some only narrowly missing out on the medals. A huge congratulations to all of our young athletes who competed over the weekend.
See below for a full list of WA youth athletes who medalled at the 2018 Aussies.
- Matthew Toms, Max Hunter, Will Savage (Trigg Island) – U15 Male Board Relay
- Ethan Duffy (Cottesloe) – U14 Male 2km Beach Run
- Will Savage (Trigg Island) – U15 Ironman
- Tyson Cook, Jared Thompson, Toby Waymouth, William Nottingham (Sorrento) – U15 Male Beach Relay
- Nikita Fredonnet, Sascha Innocent, Grace Aberhart (Trigg Island) – U15 Female Board Relay
- Serena Nandapi (Binningup) – U15 Female Beach Sprint
- Nikita Fredonnet (Trigg Island) – U15 Female Board Race
- Jacques Swarts, Willem Freebury, Oliver Dall, Fraser Wood (Albany) – U15 Male Beach Relay
- Cameron Leggett (Cottesloe) – U14 Male Beach Flags
- Cameron Quirk (Quinns Mindarie) – U15 Male 2km Beach Run
- Joseph Crowley (Sorrento) – U14 Male 2km Beach Run
- Nikita Fredonnet (Trigg Island) – U15 Female 2km Beach Run
- Ben Johnson (Scarboro) – U15 Male 2km Beach Run
- Nikita Fredonnet and Sascha Innocent (Trigg Island) – U15 Female Board Rescue
- Amelie Prinsloo (Fremantle) – U14 Female 2km Beach Run
Full results available here.
Read More Articles
11 . 04 . 2018
Drone Patrol volunteers take flight
Surf Life Saving WA’s Drone Patrol recently carried out its second training course of the season, with 9 volunteers from Secret Harbour, Cottesloe, City Beach, Mullaloo and Quinns-Mindarie Surf Life Saving Clubs participating. Held over the weekend of 7-8 April, the near perfect weather conditions allowed for an intense but fun couple of days flying at […]
29 . 03 . 2018
Easter long weekend patrols
With some egg-cellent weather forecast for the Easter long weekend, we know many of you will heading to the coast to cool off and enjoy some time with family and friends. If you are planning on going to beach, we ask that you please make it a patrolled one and remember to swim between the […]
28 . 03 . 2018
Big swell caps off an even bigger year of WA surf sports!
A massive season of WA surf sports competition came to a head as our senior athletes battled it out last weekend at 2018 SunSmart WA Senior Surf Life Saving Championships at Scarborough Beach. While weather on Saturday was relatively mild, ex tropical cyclone Marcus whipped up a solid swell for Sunday, the best Scarborough has […]