SLSWA’s Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopters (WLRH’s) play a crucial role in coastal safety and identifying emergencies. Manned by paid and volunteer personnel, the highly-trained crews are on the lookout for people in distress.
This includes locating rip currents and incidents on beaches, as well as identifying risks from marine life, including sharks. The services are also regularly tasked with assisting Water Police and other agencies in search and rescue activities.
SLSWA operates two helicopter – the Perth metropolitan service, and the South West service.
The Perth service is based at Rous Head in Fremantle, performing coastal surveillance patrols and emergency response missions throughout the greater Perth metropolitan area. From Mandurah in the south to Yanchep in the north, our Perth-based service is operational from September to April each year.
The South West service, based out of Busselton, operates from September to April each year with a focus on providing coastal surveillance patrols on weekends, and public and school holidays over popular coastal destinations.
2018/19 Season – Service dates
- 1st September 2018 to 30th September 2018 inclusive – weekends only;
- 1st October 2018 to 30h April 2019 inclusive – daily.
South West service
- 1st September 2018 to 23rd September 2018 inclusive – weekends only;
- 24th September 2018 to 7th October 2018 (school holidays) inclusive – daily;
- 13th October 2018 to 18th November 2018 inclusive – weekends only;
- 19th November 2018 to 3rd February 2019 (school holidays) inclusive – daily;
- 9th February 2019 to 7th April 2019 inclusive – weekends only
- 13th April 2019 to 28th April 2019 inclusive – daily.