2020/21 SunSmart WA Surf League
- Round 1: 14 November 2020, Trigg Island from 8am – Event Wrap & Results Event Program
- Round 2: 5 December 2020, North Scarborough – Event Program & Event Map
- Round 3: 6 February 2021, Trigg Island
Get all the info here…
How does it work?
This year, we have introduced some exciting new changes, including a modified format to align with the new National Super Surf Teams League, reduced team sizes, and a standalone Youth (U14-U17) competition to showcase the up and coming stars of our sport.
The SunSmart WA Surf League is a club based, team competition event – clubs may enter as many teams as they wish.
This year’s SunSmart WA Surf League will see prize pool of $20,500 awarded to the overall series place getters in both the Youth and Open categories.
Prize money will be awarded as follows;
What are the Age Groups and Events?
This year we will have a Youth (U14-U17) event as well as an Open event.
- Male & Female Sprints, Flags, Board, Ski, Run/Swim/Run, & Ironman
- Male & Female Youth Ocean Relay (Run – 300m, Swim – 250m, Board – 350m, ski – 500m)
- Male & Female Sprints, Flags, Board, Ski, Run/Swim/Run & Ironman
- Mixed 2 person board relay & ski relay
- Male & Female Ocean Relay (Run – 300m, Swim – 250m, Board – 350m, ski – 500m)
How are the teams made up?
- 4 males & 4 females
- Youth Teams may have a maximum of 4 x U17s, but must have a minimum of 2 x U17s to complete the Ski event
- Iron will be swim and board only – no Ski
- U17s may only race in either the Open or Youth competition, not both
- 4 males & 4 females
- U17s may only race in either the Open or Youth competition, not both.
You need to register your interest with your club. Once you register with your club, they will put teams together. As long as they meet the relevant criteria there is no limit to the number of teams a club can enter. The more the merrier we say!
Don’t have the competitor numbers to field a full team?
Combined club teams can be formed for WA Surf League events, however, there are rules!
- Combined club teams can be formed with a maximum of two clubs, however, country clubs can combine with any of the other country clubs.
- The top 5 clubs from the previous year’s WA Surf League competition cannot combine.
Please note that combined club teams are not eligible for team prizes.
What events can I compete in?
One competitor/crew within each team will race in a given discipline however, a competitor can contest multiple disciplines within the team.
How do I enter? And when do entries close?
You need to register your interest with your Club Sports Director/Administrator who will enter teams from your club. Registrations close Monday evening prior to each round, but to make things easier, why not just register for each round now, that way it’s all done.
How much does it cost?
We want to see many of our surf clubs entering teams into Surf League, so entry is free for all teams across the entire series.
But I’ve got more questions. Who do I speak to?
In the first instance, speak to your Club Sports Director. For any other questions, please contact Jason Wright, SLSWA Sport and Development Coordinator on (08) 9207 6666, or Andrew Mosel, SLSWA High-Performance Officer.