How do I get involved in the Wesfarmers Jet Ski Program?
The first step to getting involved is to become an endorsed Jet Ski Operator. This requires the following steps/qualifications:
Prerequisites – what you’ll need before you start jet ski training
To commence the jet ski training program members are required to:
- Hold a proficient Bronze Medallion;
- Hold a Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) – the minimum qualification needed to operate a powerboat (including IRBs and jet ski’s) in Western Australia. For further information, check out the WA Department of Transport website;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Have completed at least one season as a patrolling lifesaver.
Become an endorsed SLSWA Jet Ski Operator
Although a person may legally drive a jet ski in a recreational capacity in WA once they have attained a RST, to operate a SLSWA jet ski in an operational capacity they must also attain a SLSWA endorsement to operate in a surf life saving context. To achieve endorsement, the first step is to achieve the SLSWA Rescue Water Craft (RWC) Certificate. This is done by completing:
- A theory exam – candidates must complete a multi choice assessment on the content of the WA Rescue Water Craft (RWC) Operators Manual;
- A practical assessment – candidates must demonstrate that they a competent at operating a jet ski and performing emergency response manoeuvres in a range of surf conditions and scenarios;
- Logged operating time – candidates must complete at least 20 hours of supervised and logged operating time.
Once you have completed the above steps you will be recognised as an endorsed SLSWA Jet Ski Operator and will be eligible to start your journey in the Wesfarmers Lifesaver Jet Ski Program.
Download PDF for more details about pathways.