Duration – 1 Day
Cost – $110
As part of your enrolment into a course, you acknowledge that you have also read and fully understood the information provided in the SLSWA Candidate Handbook.
As this is a requalification course, it is recognised that candidates who have completed a first aid course previously, have some foundation knowledge prior to attending the course. By consolidating the knowledge and skills developed in a candidate’s initial first aid training, the refresher course ensures the candidates receive updated skills and practices that continue to help them provide the best medical care possible in emergency situations.
- Legal Issues and infection control
- The principles of first aid and its applications
- Recognition and management of emergency situations, shock
- DRSABCD action plan
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Defibrillation, vomiting, regurgitation, recovery and reassurance
- Choking – full and partial obstruction
- Anaphylaxis – signs, symptoms and triggers and using adrenaline auto injectors, allergic reaction
- Asthma – signs, symptoms and triggers, different types of bronchodilators
- Sharps injuries
- Spinal injury management, head and neck injuries
- Non-life threatening and life-threatening bleeding, nose bleeds, eye injuries, minor wounds
- Fractures, dislocations, sprains, strains
- Cardiac conditions, including chest pain
- Hypothermia and hyperthermia
- Seizures, epilepsy
- Envenomation and poisoning
- Incident reporting and review
This course is assessed through demonstration, presentation and application of all elements of competency in the workplace. Candidates will be required to complete activities that may include role-plays, oral and written questioning, practical demonstrations and performing scenarios.
There is no online assessment required for our public courses. All assessment tasks are completed on the day of the course.
To complete the practical components of this course, all candidates must be able to demonstrate CPR on the floor.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a nationally recognised training Statement of Attainment for the following units of competency:
- HLTAID011 – Provide First Aid
- HLTAID010 – Provide Basic Emergency Life Support
- HLTAID009 – Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
This course is valid for three (3) years from the date of course. It is recommended by the Australian Resuscitation Council that the CPR (HLTAID009) component of this course be updated every 12 months.
Please view the details in the Candidate Handbook should you wish to cancel or transfer/reschedule your course.