It can occasionally reach 2 to 3 m on the more open Tarcoola section where they maintain a continuous bar cut by rips every few hundred meters.
The southern and Back beaches sections are a little more protected with a usually continuous bar free of rips with two small patches of reefs also along Back Beach.
The Club was founded in 1930, following the development of a swimming club in 1918 and Swimming and Surf Life Saving Club in 1926.
The original clubhouse was lost to beach erosion and demolished in 1967. The present club sits in a large foreshore reserve on Mahomets Flats between Tarcoola and Back beaches.
The Brand Highway parallels the beach 400 m inland, with several access points and car parks along Glendenning and Willcock drives which back the reserve.