The Swanbourne-Nedlands Surf Life Saving Club is located 500 m north of the rocks. The development of the beach followed the construction of a limestone road to the beach in 1930 with the Surf Club formed in 1932. Today the beach has a large surf club, car park and patrol tower. The beach usually has low waves, averaging 0.5 to 1 m and a wide beach fronted by a steep swash zone and attached bar. During summer the bar is usually continuous with few rip holes, however during winter and following higher wave rip channels will cut across the bar every 100-200 m. The North Swanbourne ‘No Man Lands’ area of beach is backed by a 10-20 m high foredune containing several blowouts, then the Campbell Barracks.
City of Perth SLSC patrols a 2.5 km section of the beach from the northern end of ‘No Mans Land’ up to the two groynes that lie either side of the club house and which demark the main 500 m long City Beach.